Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Organizing the chaos

First off, our holidays were wonderful but very busy. We drove to Vegas for a nonstop flight to Detroit to be with family for 6 days then drove to see more family and friends in OH till New Year's Day then drove back to MI, flew back to Vegas, and drove back to CA. So crazy but also really fun to see everyone! Lil Bee was a great traveler as always and we were fortunate enough to be able to stay overnight in Vegas both ways in order to break up the traveling a bit. I am really really glad we sprung for the Dapple travel pack (http://www.amazon.com/Dapple-Travel-Pack/dp/B003QXV7PU) especially with an overnight stay at in a hotel room.


I've been on an organizing-the-entire-house spree since we've been back. The biggest thing has been reclaiming the tiny third bedroom/office/craftroom/where we stuck extra furniture that moved from apartment to apartment to across the country... you get the idea. Enter the elfa system from the Container Store. There is now a wonderful place across from his bedroom where he can play with his toys (instead of scattered all over our tiny living room) while I also have an organized space to do my scrapbooking, crafting, sewing, & menu planning- just perfect. =)




Lil Bee and I have also made tons of progress in our adventures with pureed solid foods. I've started looking through my Weelicious recipe book for different ideas and combinations but this kid will seriously eat anything I put in front of him! He's gobbled up everything from apples, bananas, oatmeal, and peaches to green beans, peas, avocado, carrots, broccoli, and zucchini! My favorite tools so far have been the Magic Bullet (http://www.buythebullet.com/), 1 oz ice cube trays (http://www.amazon.com/Tovolo-Perfect-Cube-Tray-Dark/dp/B000QIU7X6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1358400570&sr=8-1&keywords=ice+tray+silicone), plastic Similac formula containers for freezer storage (Ziploc bags also work), and these BPA free single serve containers (http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Freezer-Storage-Containers-2-Ounce/dp/B004QZBEFK/ref=sr_1_1?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1358400701&sr=1-1&keywords=freezer+storage+oxo) that I can shove into my diaper bag. 
Lessons I've learned so far: 1) glass containers are more forgiving than plastic for storage (but can also be pricey), 2) pineapple chunks don't puree- they juice, 3) my kid likes chunkier, thicker textures vs the runny Just Peaches out of a pouch (such a mess), and 4) bananas and/or oatmeal work to thicken up any "liquidy" puree like zucchini or carrots.
(broccoli)


In early Dec, I ran my first 5K since getting pregnant with Lil Bee (not pretty) and recently signed up for the Color Run in early Feb with a bunch of spouses in my squadron. So to prepare for that- I've started up a running group with a bunch of friends. We've done Zumba or Yoga together here and there but mostly we're just a bunch of new mommies who have regular playdates.. and since it's a new year, we've all got new fitness goals on our minds haha. I've also started running with Lil Bee in the jogging stroller on our own 1-2x/wk. Hopefully I find the motivation to keep up the running after the race!


With my busy schedule, I'm still making lists (something I started when I was pregnant and really scatterbrained). I also tend to really get overwhelmed when I think of all the things I have to get done (sometimes I really overbook my schedule) and making lists help me cope. So I have a list of things that need to get done right away, a list of chores that need to be done around the house, a grocery list after I plan the menu for the week, and a list of "fun" things that I've seen on Pinterest for days I'm ever bored. 

No comments:

Post a Comment