Sunday, December 2, 2012

Salt Dough Ornaments





I love to involve baby Peach in my crafts whenever possible. Salt dough ornaments seemed like the perfect pick.

It's a simple enough recipe -  1/2 cup salt, 1 cup flower,  1/2 cup water and a 250 degree oven. After combining the ingredients in a mixer and kneading it by hand to a good consistency, roll it out. Grab some cookie cutters, press your fingers, keys, whatever into it and bake. Tada. Cute little keepsake ornaments. I finished mine off with some marker decorations and midge podge spray.

I let little H eat a bit of the dough - the salty taste was not very pleasing so he cut that out and actually had fun mushing it around in his hands. A bib is certainly necessary for this activity.

If you have older children there are lots of fun ways to decorate these ornaments with glitter etc. Here is another blog post with lots of good decoration ideas.  This was quite enough chaos for us!

We had a great time. Much like when I had Baby Peach paint his pumpkin, he had no idea what was going on. He was all smiles though during the activity. Daddy Peach whisked Baby Peach upstairs for a bath as soon as we were done, giving me time to scrape the dough out of his high chair.

Any suggestions for other holiday crafts I could 'do' with my little one?

To see some other holiday crafts that did not involve Baby Peach you can check out my craft blog here.

It did NOT taste good! 
So I can eat this? 

No comments:

Post a Comment